“What a waste of time”,
“Ugh! not this meeting again”.
If there’s one thing everyone agrees on. It’s that meetings need a makeover.
Here are 10 simple yet effective meeting ideas to help you get your meetings back in shape.
- Begin and end on time (don’t wait for chronic late-comers, waiting for them enables their bad behavior)
- Require an agenda. (If you’re the organizer, share one in advance)
- Value diversity of thought and expression:
- Introverted employees digest and share information differently than extroverted employees.
- In-person employees handle information differently than virtual employees.
- Understand the concept of “Downloads vs. Decisions“.
- Downloads are updates, handoffs and announcements and best done asynchronously.
- Decisions on the other hand require input from attendees and are best accomplished synchronously.
- If possible Avoid Monday morning 8AM meetings or Friday 4PM meetings.
- If people go on a tangent, thank them for their input. Don’t ignore them. Gently remind them that they might have gone off-agenda. Clarify and return back on-agenda.
- Don’t finish a team meeting without next steps and action items. Identify who’s-doing-what-and-when (WDWW)?
- Regularly ask your attendees on their feedback to improve your meeting.
- Bake in plenty of time for questions. Encourage everyone to ask questions + follow-up questions.
- Treat team meetings as a gathering, as a meeting of minds. As a way to unite your team. Avoid cancelling them or taking them for granted.